Bricke and Tile Blog

Glenboig brick found on the Burgy Banks, Laffak, St Helens.

23/07/2025
Glenboig Brick. A1.
Having a walk around the Burgy Banks today. Assorted plain bricks in a path with a few Glenboig bricks facing up.
This half bat brick came from Lanarkshire, Scotland and was probably used in the furnaces at The Pilkingtons Cowley Hill Glass works as they are refractory bricks.
The Cowley Hill Plate Glass Works, owned by Pilkington, opened in 1871 and closed around 2024. The bricks probably was used between the period 1923 to 1975 based on the dumping of waste on the Burgy Banks.
The Burgy Banks are also known as Islands Brow and Haresfinch Burgy Banks and is designated as a Local Wildlife Site in May 1983. The area is described as having diverse habitats, including acid, neutral, sand dune, and wetland communities, with a high species diversity.